I love freshly baked Zopf for breakfast. I already have some recipes on the blog. Butterzopf and Challah, my favorite until I found the recipe from Zeno Felchlin a Swiss Baker. He revealed his recipe in Einstein a Swiss TV show and gave also some tips.
– The sugar in the dough is not for sweetness it is food for the yeast.
– The perfect temperature for yeast to work is between 22-24 C. Use cold milk and butter, to get this temperature.
– Don’t use fresh milk if you proof overnight. Bacteria could affect the yeast. Use UHT-milk.
– Add butter only after the dough came together because fat is preventing the dough to absorb the water.
– It’s a myht that eggs make a dry dough. In contrary the lecithin in the egg yolk makes the dough smooth.
– Sieve the egg for the wash, so your finished Zopf has a perfect shine.
The Perfect Sunday Morning Zopf
makes: 1 loaf
You like freshly baked Zopf for breakfast, this is your recipe. You just have to motivate your husband to get up early. ;-)
In addition, this is my submission Susan’s YeastSpotting, the weekly showcase of yeasted baked goods and dishes.